An ABN, or Australian Business Number, is a unique 11-digit identifier that is issued to businesses in Australia. It is used to identify businesses when dealing with government agencies, other businesses, and the community. An ABN is not a tax file number, but it is required for businesses that are registered for GST.
Here are some of the benefits of having an ABN:
- You can identify your business to others when ordering and invoicing.
- You can avoid pay as you go (PAYG) tax on payments you get.
- You can claim goods and services tax (GST) credits.
- You can get an Australian domain name.
- You can use your ABN to access government services and programs.
If you are a business owner in Australia, you should apply for an ABN. It is an easy process that can be done on this website by choosing the menu option above, “ABN Registration”.